Job Title: Welder
Summary: The job involves laying out, fitting, and fabricating metal components to assemble structural forms, such as equipment/machinery frames and bridge parts using knowledge of welding techniques, metallurgy, and engineering requirements.
- Laying out, positioning and securing parts and assembling according to specifications, using straightedge, combination square, calipers, and ruler.
- Tack-weld or weld components and assemble, using electric, gas, arc, or other welding equipment.
- Cut workpiece, using powered saws, hand shears, or chipping knife.
- Melt lead bar, wire, or scrap to add lead to joint or to extrude melted scrap into reusable form.
- Install or repair equipment, such as pipes, valves, floors, and tank linings.
- Observe tests on welded surfaces to evaluate weld quality and conformance to specifications.
- Inspect grooves, angles, or gap allowances, using micrometer, caliper, and precision measuring instruments.
- Remove rough spots from workpiece, using portable grinder, hand file, or scraper.
- Weld components in flat, vertical, or overhead positions.
- Heat, form, and dress metal parts, using hand tools, torch, or arc welding equipment.
- Ignite torch and adjust valves, amperage, or voltage to obtain desired flame or arc.
- Analyses engineering drawings and specifications to plan layout, assembly, and welding operations.
- Develop templates and other work aids to hold and align parts.
- Determine required equipment and welding method, applying knowledge of metallurgy, geometry, and welding techniques.
Qualifications and Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Minimum of 5 years welder work experience in the same or closely related field
Skills and Competencies:
- Proficiency in the handling tools and equipment.
- Demonstrated ability to apply good judgment in the context of assignments given.
- Ability to travel to various locations, in the Area of operations/site.
- Compliance with established methods, quality standards, and time schedules applicable to this position.
- Good communication skills (verbal and written)